From our house at sunset

From our house at sunset
Mountain of God - from vZ's mountain house

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Blessings in Disguise

I have always been a strong believer in "blessings in disguise" -- and I just want to find them as fast as I can, so that Karma or whatever it is will let me move from pain to pleasure. I've found and pondered three from our recent crisis that have crystalized in the many hours I have spent here in the dark listening to the hum of Max's many life-protecting monitors.

l. We are the lucky ones. We've met many people in ICU with whom we have shared a special bond of tears, pacing and wringing hands. We've seen them face with courage and faith the news of permanent paralysis, devestating brain damage and death.

2. I have a new respect for nurses, and the incredible stress and difficulty of their jobs. Visualize it from their point of view with me. People in crisis come into their lives for a few days or weeks; demanding, needy, traumatized and so completely obsessed with their own trauma that they don't even recognize the nurse as a person at all --- then, poof, both patient and their annoying families are gone and the next one arrives. It is the same thing over and over and over - just like a nightmare version of the movie Ground Hog Day. I admire those who have the compassion and patience to be good nurses, and we've been fortunate to have a few extra special ones so far.

3. My dear husband, David, has finally had his protective wall shattered. This is a wall he built around his heart starting at 5 when his parents sent this gentle and sensitive child to a boarding school in Africa run by brutal and sadistic Catholic priests. Since this was really the only choice for Colonial farmers in Africa, the parents did not want to believe the stories of their children and wrote them off as childish imaginations and exagerations. David spent 13 years in boarding schools, building that wall around his heart one stone at a time.

When he was 19, David's family lost their farm and home and almost all their possessions in Africa when all colonial farms were nationalized by the government. He had to come to the United States with nothing but his shattered dreams of continuing his farm and father's safari business. This event devestated his family, and David in particular, who reacted by just building his wall higher and thicker.

With his father's death and each subsequent heartbreak, his heart's fortress became almost invincable -- until the call on March 31 came about our son Max being attacked with a baseball bat. I was in Denver, and David rushed to the hospital to witness his son bleeding, semi-conscious and near death. On the life flight, David held on to that wall, but when the chopper landed at the hospital and he was met by our church elders and told by the doctors that Max had to have emergency brain surgery, his fortress crumbled. Tears flowed, his gentle heart was exposed, and for the next few days he was overwhelmed by emotions that he could no longer lock away into dark dungeons.

This brutal experience has softened him, his heart has opened up like the spring flowers that I just noticed today, for the first time, since our nightmare began. If David can hold on to this new, fragile open heart, and not be so afraid of feeling, I think it will be one of the most important steps for him to begin finding and fulfilling his great potential here on this earth and into his eternal progression.

11 comments:

  1. How lucky for you that you find blessings in this horrible happening already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing all the blessings that make themselves more apparent--especially in difficult times. I wish I would recognize them more easily when my life was more easy and consistent. I am so happy to hear about Dave and his heart softening. I'd always thought he'd been kindof a softie really. Send my love to Max, Dave, YOU, and my family! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a beautiful writer. I believe everything happens for a reason. Even tragic things, I know you all will be stronger, and closer through this horrible event.
    The beauty of nurses, what heros! I received a handwritten note from a nurse who just took care of Robby, she mentioned detailed, she remembered. How sweet is that?
    LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jeanne,
    I haven't seen you since we were kids practically, but I am so fond of your parents and my mom has kept me updated on Max's situation. I am so impressed that already you are finding the blessings in this trauma. Please know that there are friends from your far distant past who have you in their hearts and prayers. Stay strong and God bless you.
    Lynne Coulter

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeanne,
    As you know I believe all things happen for a reason, that GOD is looking out for us and in the end only good will come of any situation. I am very happy that David is starting to remove the bricks -- How wonderful that is for him, you and especially Max.

    Our prayers continue!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeannie, you don't know me, my name is Rachel Galbraith and I am Angie Whitaker's sister in law (Richie's sister.) I've been following Max's progress since Richie called to tell us what had happened. I just wanted you to know that Max and the rest of your family has been in my thoughts and prayers. I am amazed by your perspective and strength. Thanks for starting this blog so I can continue to be updated on Max's condition. You'll continue to be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Jeanne and Dave -- Your beautiful Max has not been out of our thoughts and prayers since your mother first called us. I have shared your story with our family, Steven and Lynne, and their spouses and children. We're all trying to grasp the intensity of emotion surrounding you as you cope with what was unimaginable only a month ago. Steven has two boys about the same age as Max. He was shaken by the swift and irreversible eruption of violence affecting boys the same age as his. We don't often stop to think of how dangerous adolescence can be. And Lynne, who teaches English and writing to adolescents, has written to you above to express her admiration.
    It sounds as if you are blessed by the Light of God surrounding you and the Love of God enfolding you.
    Know that we are thinking about you and sending our loving thoughts your way.
    Nancy and Bob Redd

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeanne - Dale forwarded an email about Max. You are in our prayers. God does work in mysterious and amazing ways. God Bless, Becky Skaggs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear V-Z's -- I thought some more about the intensity of emotion surrounding you now and began to contemplate your reserves of strength. I hope you are able to eat and to sleep enough to replenish your reserves of physical strength. It seems certain that your prayers and ponderings, your musings and meditations, as well as the loving support of the people surrounding you, are helping to replenish your spirit. Take care of yourselves. Nancy R.

    ReplyDelete
  10. God definitely does move in mysertious ways. Please know our prayers continue to be with Max, you, and Dave. When you get a minute, read ALL te verses to "How Firm A Foundation", #85 in the LDS Hymnal. Verse four I especially love,
    "When through the deep waters I call thee to go
    The rivers of sorrow shall not thee o'erflow.
    For I will be with thee, thy troubles to bless,
    And sanctify to thee thy deepest distress."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jeanne I'm supposed to let you know that Mommas (above) is Eileen Hancey, Richie's mom!

    ReplyDelete