From our house at sunset

From our house at sunset
Mountain of God - from vZ's mountain house

Friday, April 10, 2009

Miracles

Last night, Max survived a five hour very delicate surgery with the help of two fantastic surgeons. Here is the miracle. Stay alert, it is a little complicated.

Three weeks ago my parents took their kids and spouses on a dream vacation to Israel. This was a serious "learning vacation" as we traced the steps of our Savior and many of the prophets and other characters in the Bible. My husband, David could not go because he had a new job, so Max went -- the only teenager on a trip of old farts.

We had premier, educated and experienced Jewish, Christian (LDS/Mormon) and Muslim guides with more lectures and learnings than Max was particularly enthused about. On this trip we bonded spiritually and personally with the people on our tour. One of those was a Dr. Griffin, an ear, nose and throat surgeon.

Two weeks after returning home from our trip, Max was attacked with a baseball bat in our home by a former friend. They had to life flight him to Grand Junction, Colorado - one of the top ten trauma hospitals in the nation.

Who was there to meet that helicopter? None other than Dr. Griffin, who just happens to live and work in Grand Junction at St. Mary's Hospital. For the past nine days he has worked closely with our brain surgeon, Dr. Whitwer.

We have been privileged over the past 9 days to have found worthy priesthood holders in the LDS faith who have given Max many blessings. Dr. Griffin is one of them. Last night Max had regressed enough to require a second surgery. They were surprised that the spinal fluid leak did not seem to be leaking from the skull fracture or a tear in the derma (lining around brain) as Dr. Whitwer had prediceted -- but after further investigation, Dr. Griffin found that when he went into the middle ear, there was a rush of fluid - and he was able to create a "dam" made of Max's own tissues layered with a type of glue to seal the leak.

So, if you were a statistician, what would you say would be the odds of a random family meeting another family on vacation -- then two weeks later one family has a medical emergency, life flights a child to one of the top trauma centers in the US and is met at the helipad by someone they just met half way across the world who just happens to have the exact skill needed to save the life of the child?

Dr. Griffin holds the priesthood and the authority to assist in healing both spiritually and medically. He was an angel supported in that operating by other angels (visible and not) who saved Max's life. God works in mysterious ways. Never has my faith been stronger.

We are so grateful for our Heavenly Father and his love and great plans for us here and after this life. Yup, it is a long road ahead, but we will find lots of new angels and we'll also find many great learnings and blessings that will help us be better, kinder, more compassionate and honorable people.

6 comments:

  1. This whole experience has been faith building and forced me to trust in God and His will! What an amazing story. No coincidence. Pure divine guidance. We prayed for Max's surgery and hope it continues to hold strong. Love to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeanne,
    I am Eileen Whitaker Hancey - your niece, Angie's mother-in-law. Since we heard about Max we have been praying for him every day, fasting for him, and putting his name on the prayer role in our Rexburg ID Temple where we are ordinance workers. Please know how much we care. I am grateful to Angie and your sister Joni for keeping me updated. I hope you don't mind me reading your blog, but I do want you to know that Max will be in our prayers continually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeanne,

    Michael Roth shared with the Dukes the news that Max had recently undergone another surgery. Please know that Max and you and David will be in our prayers daily.

    My prayer for you and David is that God grants you a peace that surpasses understanding. Your story about the Doctor in Colorado is simply amazing and we will hope that you continue to be surrounded by angels.

    God Bless,

    Jeff Johnston

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve and Pam ZweifelApril 10, 2009 at 6:37 PM

    Hi Jeanne and Dave,
    It was a priviledge to read your blog. Joni has been keeping us up to date about Max. Please know that we pray for him continually. His name is also on the prayer roll in the Idaho Falls Temple and will be kept there until he is well. We love you and your family and you are in our thoughts and prayers everyday. Such a beautiful story about you meeting Dr. Griffin again but in such a different setting. The Lord does send us angels in our life. I know that for sure. Our love to you and all of your family Jeanne. You are a stong and faithful person and are teaching us along the way.

    With love,

    Steve and Pam Zweifel

    ReplyDelete
  5. If there is one thing that I have learned in my life so far it is to be able to find the strength and the faith inside to be able to accept God's Will. I will never forget the way I felt the day of Kolby's accident. The horror, the agony, the sickness inside of me that made me sooo numb. I prayed and prayed for a miracle and told myself that I know I had enough faith and that my faith could save Kolby's life. The problem was that I didn't understand that Faith cannot save his life, it's having faith to accept God's Will. I didn't know that God's Will was for Kolby to die and I didn't understand it.
    When I heard about Max, I immediately felt the horror, sickness and agony inside again and felt tears strolling... I honestly knew what you were going through and experiencing. I was scared and I wanted nothing more than to give you and Dave a big hug.
    As time passed in those next few gut wrenching hours, a peace came over me and I knew that Max was going to make it. I knew that it was not God's Will for Max to die right now. I just knew that he would be okay. I didn't know what kind of effects the damages would cause to his body but I knew that he wasn't going to die. I just had this feeling that everything would be well. After that I didn't worry anymore for his life.
    I don't know how it's all going to turn out in the end but I want you guys to know that I know personally that Max is going to recover well and that he is going to be okay. I've been praying for him and for you guys and I will continue forever.
    I love you guys and I just wanted you to know that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Jeanne:

    Laurie from FMI just celebrated Easter with my husband Tim and me. She told me about this particular miracle -- and because your faith is so strong, and because I believe in angels, too, I do believe you are surrounded by them now and they will see you all through. I am praying for all of you.

    Aloha,

    Edie Clark (your former FMI colleague)

    ReplyDelete